About the Blog

Many may wonder why after 20 years, I have chosen to share something so personal and that happened so long ago. I am sharing this because at the time I felt very alone and if these words would help someone else not feel so alone then that's worth my opening up about this time of my life. I also want to document these events and thoughts for my own two sons so that they have an account of why their Mom was so adamant that they always know how much I loved them. I also share this as a therapeutic release for myself on this twentieth anniversary.

This blog will not likely be an ongoing dialogue, but it may take me a year to share all that I experienced and how I processed the impact of this event for years to come. It still affects how I live my life today and will always shape the way I see the world.

I don't share these stories to ask for sympathy or for anyone to feel sorry for me. Sometimes life sucks and is hard and everyone experiences that in life. I don't feel my life has been any worse or any different that anyone else's. I do ask for prayers, not for myself specifically, but for all those dealing with the loss of loved ones. Pray that they may find the courage and strength to allow themselves to grieve for their loss and continue to live a life full of love and happiness as time passes by.

I was not a perfect daughter, sister, friend, or girlfriend at any point in my life much less during one of the most difficult times. I do not believe the way I grieved and reacted to these events is the right way. I do not believe there is a right or wrong way to grieve. This is the path I took and everyone must find their own path. I did what I thought at the time was best for me and it wasn't always what was best for those around me. That's what my siblings did too and eventually we all came out on the other side of the grief to live full and successful lives.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

1st Semester of College

The summer after graduation was tough and exciting all at the same time.  Andy and I broke up, but I stayed close with him and his family.  I started by job on campus and I prepared to move to campus at USI.  I remained in denial of the grief I was experiencing and tried to enjoy the changes that were happening around me. As I started college and these changes were occurring the thing I noticed the most was that I missed talking to my Mom.  My mom, little did I know, was my very best friend when I was a junior in high school.  I was a daughter who came home from school everyday and talked to my Mom about everything that happened in my day.  As I was preparing for these changes and starting my new journey in college, I longed to have her to talk to.  I longed to talk to her about important things, but just as much I missed being able to tell her about the trivial and silly things that happened through my day.

I was blessed to be surrounded by many people that helped fill that void.  I talked regularly with Andy's mom, Kay.  I spoke to my Aunt Beth multiples time a week and she stayed up on everything happening with my friends.  She listened to me talk about all the drama that comes along with moving in with roommates for the first time and many of my close friends going off to college.  My new boss, Karen, quickly became a confidant that I spoke to on a daily basis as well.  I used all of these people to fill the void I felt of not having my mom here to share my days with.  I don't think I realized that these people were playing such a pivotal role at the time, but looking back I am so grateful.

The other blessing I had at this time was I started teaching dance.  My Aunt Beth and Uncle Path were gracious enough to allow me to use their house for my lessons.  I loved teaching my girls to dance.  Dance was a place that I felt like I belonged.  It was a place that I felt like I could make a difference in these young girls lives.  I could help them find the confidence and joy from dance that I did. My mom had worked very hard so that I could dance and now I could ensure that the sacrifices she had made were for more than just me.  I was able to share this passion with some amazing families that are still near and dear to my heart all these years later.  Teaching dance brought me true, real joy and I will forever be grateful to my aunt and uncle for allowing me to use their home, but also to my dance parents for trusting me to teach their daughters and allowing me to be with them each week.

My first semester of college was off to a good start.  I was still grieving, but was starting to have a little room for joy in my life as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment