About the Blog

Many may wonder why after 20 years, I have chosen to share something so personal and that happened so long ago. I am sharing this because at the time I felt very alone and if these words would help someone else not feel so alone then that's worth my opening up about this time of my life. I also want to document these events and thoughts for my own two sons so that they have an account of why their Mom was so adamant that they always know how much I loved them. I also share this as a therapeutic release for myself on this twentieth anniversary.

This blog will not likely be an ongoing dialogue, but it may take me a year to share all that I experienced and how I processed the impact of this event for years to come. It still affects how I live my life today and will always shape the way I see the world.

I don't share these stories to ask for sympathy or for anyone to feel sorry for me. Sometimes life sucks and is hard and everyone experiences that in life. I don't feel my life has been any worse or any different that anyone else's. I do ask for prayers, not for myself specifically, but for all those dealing with the loss of loved ones. Pray that they may find the courage and strength to allow themselves to grieve for their loss and continue to live a life full of love and happiness as time passes by.

I was not a perfect daughter, sister, friend, or girlfriend at any point in my life much less during one of the most difficult times. I do not believe the way I grieved and reacted to these events is the right way. I do not believe there is a right or wrong way to grieve. This is the path I took and everyone must find their own path. I did what I thought at the time was best for me and it wasn't always what was best for those around me. That's what my siblings did too and eventually we all came out on the other side of the grief to live full and successful lives.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Wednesday Morning of Spring Break 95

Wednesday -- Journal entry to Andy

Good Morning!  I told Nathan and he took it better than I thought.  His first comment after he calmed down was she's not going to see my play.  I told him that both of us would be there and Mom would see it just not from the audience.  I told him Mom would see everything we do from heaven.  I know she will be in a better place and I have to keep reminding myself of that.

Right now, I don't know if she is alive or not.  It's about 8 o'clock in the morning and I don't know if she made it through the night or if she died already and I don't know when they will unplug her.
Nathan did want to see her. I just don't think that would have been a good idea. Dad wouldn't have wanted to watch him see her.  We all feel that Dad made a brave decision. It wouldn't have been fair to Mom or us to let her live off of machines.  He made the right decision. I thought a lot last night and I am feeling much better. The funeral will be really hard, but I think we'll be alright after a while. 
I have written so much that I really don't have anything else to write.  So I'll go if I find out anything I'll let you know.  I Love You!!

This conversation with Nathan was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life still to this day.  Nathan had been preparing for his school play, which was a rite of passage for 6th graders in our school.  He had such an honest reaction. He wanted her here to see him in that play, to see him grow up, and to be with him as he lived his life. That's what we all wanted.  

I think he wanted to see her in the hospital partially because he had not seen her the morning she was taken to the hospital.  He hadn't see her acting like she was trapped her body with no control of her movements, thoughts, and sounds.  I just hoped that one day he would understand why I had made the decision that I did.

 We never once questioned our Dad's decision to remove her from life support.  We discussed it together the three of us before Dad returned and we all felt this was the right decision.  
I think the reason I felt better was because there wasn't as much unknown. I knew she was going to die so now I could start to plan, like I still do when faced with adversity.  I didn't really feel better and I had no idea what pain would lie ahead, but at least I knew what was going to happen next. I also remember thinking that my Mom had lost her mother and she hadn't sat around feeling sorry for herself, she picked up and moved on, so that must be what we were supposed to do too.  I clearly at the time  had no idea how my Mom had coped with the death of her mother, but this was my rationale.  

No comments:

Post a Comment